NP: NP, 1936. Original photograph(s). Original photographs. Exceptional lot of 280 original photographs of a German family's visit to Berlin during the 1936 Olympic Games.
Printed on agfa paper, this unique collection opens with:
- 48 photos of various Berlin street scenes showing Berliners and tourists strolling about the Lustgarten and the Tiergarten parks, as well as the main boulevards of the German capital, such as Unter den Linden, with buildings and monuments covered with olympic flags hung side by side with Nazi swastikas, as well as flags from participating nations. Some of the monuments depicted are the Brandenburg Gate, the Victory Column, the Berliner Stadtschloss, the Radio Tower, etc..
- 5 photographs showing people admiring Eberhard Encke's monumental sculptures of runners, along a boulevard Unter den Linden profusely decorated with Nazi flags.
- 7 photographs of the magnificent Hindenburg, the largest zeppelin airship in the world (900 feet long and 160 feet wide), with huge swastika markings on its tail-fins, flying low over the stadium.
- 23 photographs of the impressive Olympiastadion (Olympic stadium) designed by Werner March, as well as people arriving at the Reichsportfeld subway station before heading to the stadium. The photographs show exterior views of the stadium, with the two entrance columns and its iconic bell tower.
- 22 photographs showing interior views of the stadium filled with spectators.
- 12 photographs showing interior views of the Olympiapark Schwimmstadion Berlin (Berlin Olympic Swim Stadium), planned and conceived by Gregor Röß.
- 20 photographs taken during the opening ceremony at the Olympiastadion.
- 4 photographs showing spectators at the Olympic stadium giving the Nazi salute.
- 11 photographs taken during athletics competitions, including the men's 200 meters (won by Jesse Owens, USA), and the men's marathon won by Son Kitei of the Japanese team.
- 4 photographs taken on August 11th, during a diving competition at the Olympiapark Schwimmstadion.
- 4 photographs also taken on 8/11 during the following swimming competitions: The women's 100m backstroke (won by Nida Senff, Netherlands); the men's 400 m freestyle (won by Jack Medica, USA); the men's 4 x 200 m freestyle relay (won by Shigeo Arai, Shigeo Sugiura, Masaharu Taguchi, Masanori Yusa, Japan).
- 6 photographs taken on 8/16 (the last day of the Berlin Olympiads) during equestrian competitions.
- 5 photographs taken during the closing ceremony.
- 33 photographs showing various members of the German family from Treptow (south-east of Berlin) that visited the capital during the Olympic Games.
- 17 photographs taken during the family's visit to the Berlin zoo.
- 24 photographs taken during the family's visit to Potsdam, with views of the Sanssouci palace with Frederick the Great's statue in the foreground; the historic windmill; the water fountain of the Orangery, etc..
- 23 photographs taken during the family's vacation at a seaside resort in July 1936.
- 12 photographs taken at various art exhibitions and other cultural events in Berlin, in August 1936.
The photographs measure 3 1/8 x 5" and are all in very good condition. vg. Item #46722