Bordeaux: G. Gounouilhou, 1897. First edition. Hardcover. Quarto (10 x 6 1/2"). cxvi, 444pp. Later full burgundy cloth, with gold lettering to spine.
Edited under the auspices of the Académie nationale des sciences, belles-lettres et arts de Bordeaux, this work publishes the surviving documents featured in the cartulary of the Collegiate Church of Saint-Seurin, in Bordeaux.
The documents (from the 9th to the 14th century), all published in their original Latin, shed a valuable light on the historiography and ideology in the Anglo-Gascon Duchy of Aquitaine.
Binding darkened, partly soiled, and rubbed along edges. Ex-library bookplates on inside of front cover, and front free endpaper. Ex-library stamps at top and bottom paper edges, title page, verso of title page, dedication page, and at bottom of last page. Ex-library's printed information note on the book pasted on inside of back cover. Binding somewhat darkened and slightly soiled. Fore-edge of the first four leaves brittled, and partly repaired with tape (not affecting lettering. Paper age-toned along edges. Introductory text in French, documents in Latin. Binding and interior in overall good- to good condition. g- to g. Item #45531