香港 (Hong Kong): 開發股份有限公司 (Cafa Company Limited), 1970. First edition. Softcover. Elephant folios. 21x15". Dark blue cloth stiff wrappers, with gilt lettering on the covers and spines. Decorative gold-speckled endpapers with dragon motifs. The set contains 8 volumes collecting and reproducing the work of the acclaimed group of Chinese painters active in the 18th century, known as the Eight Eccentrics of Yangzhou. These artists were thusly named because of their own strong expressive and individualist characteristics, and their rejection of the more traditional ideas of their predecessors. The set contains a total of 183 paintings, gathering works from around the world, including museums and private collections. Being the largest and most comprehensive collection of these master's works ever assembled, the set reproduces works from hand scrolls, hanging scrolls, albums, and traditional painted fans. The images are reproduced in 3-color printing.
The group of Eight Eccentrics is traditionally considered to comprise the following artists, all of whom are included in the collection:
1. Wāng ShìShèn (汪士慎) known for skills in painting plums and human figures, as well as seal cutting and calligraphy.
2. Huáng Shèn (黄慎) known for bold colors and images of common people, religious and historical subjects.
3. Lĭ Shàn (李鱓/李鳝) known for splash-ink painting and long poem calligraphy.
4. Jīn Nóng (金农) the first Chinese artist to paint self-portraits. Also known for his "lacquered calligraphy".
5. Luō Pìn (罗聘), studied under Jin Nong, and painted natural and Buddhist imagery. Also known for painting "ghosts".
6. Gāo Xiáng (高翔) known for painting plums and using his left hand.
7. Zhèng Xiè (郑燮) aka Zhèng BănQiáo (郑板桥) known for drawing orchids, bamboo and stones, and pioneering calligraphy.
8. Lĭ FāngYīng (李方膺) known for plant imagery, including pines, bamboo, plum blossoms and orchids.
All text for each volume in both Chinese and English, including introductory editor's notes and a table of contents, captions for each of the works, and short artist biographies at the back of the volumes.
Wrappers with some minor rubbing and bumping to corners. Minor creasing and/or scratches to a few of the covers. Wrappers in very good+ to near fine, interiors in near fine condition overall. vg+ to near fine. Item #43986