Halle, Germany: Verkehrsamt der Stadt Halle, (1930). First edition. Softcover. Quarto. 32pp. Original illustrated wraps with red, yellow and gray lettering, protected by modern mylar. Pamphlet produced by the Halle Tourist office to attract tourism for the city. Designed by the School for applied Art illustrated with halftone photographs by Hans Finsler, typography by Hass. Number 2 of a series of promotional publications featuring the history and sights of interest in the city.
An introductory paragraph, printed in bold red lettering on the inside front cover, describes traveling as an art and emphasizes the attractions of this culturally versatile city. Illustrated almost exclusively with distinctive full-page halftones of city attractions covering the span of 1,000 years reaching as far back as the ruins of the castle of Giebichstein around the year 925, a prehistoric cult site dedicated to Wodan (Odin). Next to the four page historical overview by Erich Neuss each of photographs is accompanied by a a brief description on opposite pages indicating architects and artist with data regarding the time frame, scope and history of the respective sights, e.g. the church Unsere Lieben Frauen (Our Lovely Women), the Georg Friedrich Händel monument, the only monument of the Baroque composer in Germany, the St. Moritz church, the Halle Dom, the university lecture hall by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, the fountain square in the Spa Wittekind, and other points of interest. Text in German. Wraps with very light rubbing and wear along edges. Wraps in overall very good, interior in near fine condition.
(1932) Quarto. 34pp. unpaginated. Original white wraps with red and blue lettering on cover, protected by modern mylar. Pamphlet produced by the tourist office promoting Halle as a school city. Number 4 of a series of promotional publications featuring the extensive educational structure of the city of Halle, designed by the School for Applied Arts in Halle reminiscent of typical Bauhaus design. The pamphlet is illustrated with striking b/w in-text photographs provided by the School for Applied Arts, including eight small photographs featuring activities of various departments of the school itself, very much in the Bauhaus style, and various other of the many schools of the city. It includes two full-page halftone reproductions of photographs of the city market place and the Friedrich University of Halle-Wittenberg.
An introductory paragraph, printed in bold red lettering on the inside front cover, relates to the economic downturn of the time and appeals to the reader to turn to the ideals and the "cultural will inherited from our fathers" to overcome the difficulties. It points to a long tradition of schools and the university in Halle describing university, colleges, high school, middle schools, and secondary schools as well as private schools in separate entries. In-text photographs of various schools, products generated in applied art schools and a red and white graphic describing the Halle school system as a whole conveying an excellent overview of the school system in Halle. No credits for the outstanding photographs are listed. Both pamphlets printed at Karras & Koennecke, Halle. Text in German. Very light wear along edges of wraps and light rubbing. Two inch narrow abrasion on inside back cover just barely affecting the graphic design. Wraps in overall very good, interior in near fine condition. vg+ to near fine. Item #42715