Praha (Prague): MIR, 1950. First edition. Hardcover. Quarto. 174, pp. Original photo-illustrated dust-jacket over decorative gilt-lettered brown and beige cloth. Frontispiece. Title page in red and black lettering.
Profusely illustrated with numerous b/w photographic reproductions, and one folding floor plan, this work sheds a terrifying light on the Small Fortress of Terezin (Malá pevnost in Czech) which, beginning in 1940, was used by the Gestapo asaprison (thelargest one in the Protectorateof Bohemia and Moravia). It was separate and unrelated to the Jewish ghetto in the main fortress on the river Ohre's right side. Around 32,000 people arrived there and were usually sent to aconcentration camp later. At the end, 2,600 people were executed, starved, or succumbed to disease.
Minor rubbing along dust-jacket's edges. Back cover slightly stained. Text in Czech. Dust-jacket in overall good+, binding and interior in very good condition. g+ to vg. Item #40345