Berlin: NP, (ca. 1909). Softcover. Plans & drawings in various sizes all printed on light card stock (some plans mounted). Seven of the ten are numbered. 5 plans/drawings annotated by Hoffmann, 2 drawings signed by him, 5 signed by Stadtbauinspektor / Magistrats-Baurat Tietze. Printed by "Gisaldruck v. Bogdan Gisevius, Berlin." (not numbered): 1) Large 46 1/2" x 59" Lageplan (ground plan) of the hospital also showing surrounding streets. Plan titled "Neubau des IV. Städt. Krankenhauses - Lageplan." Rudolf Virchow handwritten in blue crayon below title. Parts of folds as well as sporadic tears repaired with tape. Parts of edges chipped, some closed tears along folds, no missing pieces. 2) Drawing (13 3/4 x 16" ) showing the facade of the hospital, mounted on 17 1/4 x 25" card stock. Signed by Ludwig Hoffmann with some of his annotations. 3) Drawing (16" x 21 1/2") of the "Operationshaus" mounted on 23 1/2" x 28 1/2" card stock. Signed by Hoffmann with his annotations. Numbered plans: (# 4 - # 7 with original signature of Stadtbauinspektor Tietze, dated 6. Januar 1909. Also with printed signature of the on-site architect, Bietz) Signatures accompanied with text: a) "Revidiert und festgestellt: Berlin, den 6. Januar 1909. Der Stadtbauinspektor: (original signature "Tietze"), Magistrats-Baurat. b) "Die Richtigkeit und Uebereinstimmung mit der Ausführung bescheinigt: Berlin, den 1sten Dezember 1908. Der Bauleitende (printed signature of "Bietz"), Architekt. 4) Blatt 1: 22" x 30" revised plan showing the foundation (Revisionszeichnung, Fundamente) of the Doppeloperationshaus (surgery building). With many handwritten annotations by the architect. Small number stamp on lower left margin. 5) Blatt 2: 26" x 30" revised plan showing the basement (Revisionszeichnung, Kellergeschoss) of the Doppeloperationshaus. With architects handwritten annotations. Five-inch closed tear on upper left corner. 6) Blatt 3: 18" x 25" plan of the basement of the Doppel-Operationshaus. Lists rooms (Raumbezeichnung) and furniture (Mobiliarbezeichnung). Small number stamp on lower left margin. 7) Blatt 4: 30" x 26 3/4" revised drawing of the ground floor of the Doppel-Operationshaus. Two-inch closed tear on right upper edge. 8) Blatt 5: 27" x 31" drawing of the attic (Dachgeschoß) of the Doppel-Operationshaus. Top left corner with closed tear (almost detached). Bottom left corner creased. 9) Blatt 7: 25" x 26 3/4" drawing showing the facade (Vorder-Ansicht), cross- and longitudinal sections (Quer- und Längsschnitt), as well as details of the main cornice (Hauptgesims) and roof turret (Dachreiter). 1/2" closed tear on bottom right corner. 10) (Not numbered) 16 1/4" x 22" drawing mounted on 28 1/4" x 23" card stock showing the facade, longitudinal section, main cornice and roof turret. Few annotations by architect. Two-inch closed tear on bottom edge. g to vg. Item #31997
Unique collection of architectural plans & drawings by Berlin architect and Stadtbaurat, Ludwig Ernst Emil Hoffmann. The architect attended the Kunstakademie in Kassel and the Bauakademie in Berlin where his teachers included Richard Lucae and Johann Heinrich Strack. After becoming a licensed government architect in 1884 he won a competition for the revised design of the Reichsgerichtgebäude in Leipzig. Hoffmann and Peter Dybwad worked on the monumental neo-classicist building from 1887-1895. A year later Hoffmann was elected city architect of Berlin being responsible for all types of public buildings in the city. Notable examples include the Märkisches Museum, various public baths such as the Volksbadeanstalt Baerwaldstraße (Berlin-Kreuzberg), Volksbadeanstalt Dennewitsstraße (Schöneberg), Volksbadeanstalt Oderberger Straße (Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg), several bridges & fountains, the Altes Stadthaus, the Rudolf-Virchow-Krankenhaus and many others. On the initiative of Rudolf Virchow the fourth major city hospital was built between 1898 and 1906. Virchow was a German doctor, anthropologist, pathologist and politician, known for his advancement of public health. He is considered as one of the founders of social medicine. The Virchow Krankenhaus was the last hospital that was built in the so-called "Pavillonstil." At the time the construction of the building cost 19 million Reichsmark. 57 separate buildings with 2,000 beds were built on an area of 2,906,255 square feet. The staff buildings housed approx. 1,000 employees, doctors, nurses and other personnel. Impeccable landscaping, trees, large green patches, flower beds and benches gave the hospital grounds a park-like feel. Unique piece of Berlin architectural history by one of the most important German architects of the late 19th and early 20th century.