Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg May–October 1927. Includes Festnummer. Die Vierte Wand zur Eröffnung der Ausstellung. Heft 14/15. 14. Mai 1927 [WITH] Bauhaus 3 1927 Special Issue [WITH] Die Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg 1927 [WITH] Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg Mai - 1927 Sept. Amtlicher Katalog. Industrie-und-Gewerbeabteilung - Sonderausstellungen [WITH] Offizieller Führer [WITH] Deutschland - Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg Mai - 1927 Sept. [WITH] 3 commemorative stamped envelopes, 2 commemorative stamped and 9 commemorative postcards.
Magdeburg: Herausgegeben von der Mitteldeutschen Ausstellungsgesellschaft MBH. Magdeburg. 1927. First edition. Softcover. - Festnummer. Die Vierte Wand zur Eröffnung der Deutschen Theater-Ausstellung. Magdeburg 1927; Large quarto. 98; pp. Original decorative wrappers with red lettering on front and back cover, protected by modern mylar. Rare and fascinating work dedicated to the German Theatre Festival which was being held in Magdeburg between Mai and September 1927. It is profusely illustrated with numerous b/w photographic reproductions of actors performing on stage, theatre directors and theatres. Includes several articles on German theatre, plays and actors. Text in German. Wrappers and interior in near to fine condition.
- "bauhaus 3 1927" - Special edition of the quarterly issued for the "deutsche theaterausstellung magdeburg 1927." Elephant Folio (16 1/2 x 11 1/2"). 6pp. foldout. Original wraps with cover printed in red and black, with stamp of architect Iwao Yamawaki at top left corner of cover. Protected by modern mylar. Editors Walter Gropius, Felix Moholy-Nagy with Oskar Schlemmer participating for this special issue. Issue published in July 1927, on the occasion of the Theater Congress 1927 during the German Theater Exhibition in Magdeburg. The front page is illustrated with b/w photographs of the stage by Erich Consenmüller, featuring the technical equipment by Joost Schmidt and the theater seating by Marcel Breuer. The three inside pages contain nineteen striking b/w photographs by Lux Feininger, Erich Consenmüller, and one by Consenmüller's student Ruth Hollos, depicting various stagings of performances conceived by Oskar Schlemmer, Werner Siedhoff and Walter Kaminsky. Includes one photograph of the outside of the theater by Lux Feininger. This spread also includes one diagram depicting Oskar Schlemmer's "gestentanz (Gesture Dance)" and a drawing of the "kugeltheater (Bullet Theater)" by Andreas Weininger. Page five features various announcements of theater events with two b/w photographs of staged scenes, w/o credit, and page six contains excerpts of Kandinsky's "on abstract stage synthesis" and Moholy-Nagy's "how can the Total Theater be realized?" with three b/w photographs of marionettes created by Hilde Rantzsch. The bottom of this page contains the curriculum for the "experimental stage" at the Bauhaus Dessau. Text in German. Horizontal fold with 3 x 1/2" chip torn off at foredge around horizontal fold. Some tears along folds and small hole at top right corners, lightly rubbed.
- Die Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg 1927. Eine Schilderung ihrer Entstehung und ihres Verlaufs. Magdeburg. Mitteldeutsche Ausstellungsgesellschaft m.b.H. 1928. First edition. Quarto. 78pp., 70 plates. Original three-quarter red cloth over decorative orange boards with gilt lettering on spine. An extensive account of the origin, development and the course of the exhibition by Alfred Merbach and a contribution on the structure and organization of the exhibition by Franz Rapp. With a preface by Federal Minister C. H. Becker and a foreword by the Exhibition Management. The publication is illustrated with in-text portrait photographs, exhibition highlights and reproductions of promotional material relating to the exhibition. Furthermore it contains seventy plates at rear with some 150 sepia-toned reproductions of exhibitions sites, installations, set designs, etc. exhibited at the show. Text in German. Cloth corners partially removed and some staining on front cover. Block lightly age-toned. Binding in good, interior in very good condition.
- Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg 1927. Amtlicher Katalog - Historische Abteilung; Künstlerische Abteilung; Kultur-Abteilung; Kunstausstellung; Bühnentechnik; Bühnenarchitektur. Octavo. xxvii, 316 (4)pp. Original gray wraps with black lettering and exhibition logo on cover and spine, protected by modern mylar. Introduction by Franz Rapp. This catalog lists participating exhibitors relating to historical periods of the theater, various exhibitors relating to set design, the representatives of various theater-related organizations, participants of the art exhibit, stage design and technique. Contains a list of staff and contributors of the exhibition as well as a few pages of advertisements at front and rear.
- Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg Mai - 1927 Sept. Amtlicher Katalog - Industrie-und-Gewerbeabteilung; Sonderausstellungen. Octavo. 128pp. Original decorative wrappers, protected by modern mylar. Official catalogue of the Fair exhibitors. Includes a folded plan of the fair grounds (4pp. folded 15 1/2 x 12"). This catalogue is profusely illustrated with numerous b/w and 2 color advertisements. Minor age-toning throughout. Text in German. Wrappers and interior in overall very good to near fine condition.
- Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg Mai - Oktober 1927. Amtlicher Führer (Official Guide). Octavo. 80, xvi pp. Original illustrated wraps. Guide through the exhibition with tips for other Magdeburg attractions. Both, guide and catalog with text by Erich Feldhaus. Contains pertinent information on organizers and sponsors of the events. Laid in a folding map with layout of the exhibition grounds (size as in catalog above) and a four-page leaflet announcing three premieres of the Laban Dance Theater during the exhibition: Titan, Nacht, and Ritterballet. In very good condition.
- Deutschland - Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg Mai - 1927 Sept.; Quarto. 8pp. Original decorative wrappers. Fascinating booklet being a summary of the history of German theatre. It is profusely illustrated with 7 b/w in-text drawings of various German theatres. Minor age-toning throughout. Text in German. Wrappers and interior in overall very good to near fine condition.
- 3 postmarked envelopes with commemorative stamps, 2 postmarked postcards with commemorative stamps, 11 commemorative postcards and one loose official label (2 3/8 x 1 5/8"), all in photogravure and protected by modern mylar. All 3 envelopes with the Deutsche Theatrer-Ausstellung commemorative postmarks on stamps, one with an additional official label of the exhibition pasted to front left edge of the envelope, with exhibition stamp below label; additional unused official label laid in. All 3 are in very good condition. 2 commemorative stamped postcards depicting the exhibition compound and the fine art section of the Deutsche Theatre-Ausstellung; 9 postcards depicting various aspects of the Theater Exhibition in Magdeburg: the Ausstellungsturm restaurant, the Magdeburg Siedlung Grosse Diesdorfer Strasse (Architect Baurat Rühl), the Magdeburg Pferdetor (Architect Albinmüller), the entrance of the exhibition grounds, the Heinrich Heine Place, two variant cards of City Hall, the Richard Wagner Hall, and the art gallery. Four of the postcards with "Deutsche Theater-Ausstellung Magdeburg 1927, Mai - Oktober" printed to verso, three with "Magistrat Magdeburg (Wirtschaftsamt)." All in very good to fine condition. Item #24556