Berlin: Ernst & Korn, 1866. First edition. Hardcover. Folio. 32 loose plates. Modern blue cloth portfolio, with original wrappers pasted on covers. The portfolio contains 31 steel engravings (out of 62) of different buildings in Berlin. Seven of the engravings (including 6 double page folds), show the synagogue in the Oranienberger Strasse* from different perspectives: View from the street, compendium, floor plan, view from ground and top floor, transection, and the dome. Added with this portfolio is a color lithograph of the Oranienberger synagogue, taken from the separately printed elephant folio edition. The lithograph, by G. Knoblauch and F. Hollin, is titled "Synagoge in Berlin", captioned on bottom "Chornische mit dem Allerheiligsten": A frontal section of the inside of the synagogue depicts the pulpit [Bima], the half-opened curtain to the ark [Aron ha-Kodesh], two Menorahs [one to each side], a reproduction of the Tablets of the 10 commandments, and the elaborately decorated inside of the Dome of the Synagogue. List of the 31 plates contained in the portfolio: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 9a, 14, 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 29a, 36, 37, 42, 43, 44, 45, 59, and 60. Light water staining to upper right corner of chromolithograph, with minor and sporadic foxing along margin (not affecting illustration). Original wrappers foxed along edges, with sporadic closed tears and chipping. Some foxing to title and list of plates. Moderate foxing along edges of plates. Captions in German. Portfolio and interior in overall good to good+, plates in good+ condition. g to g+. Item #15775
*The synagogue at Oranienberger Strasse, inaugurated on September 5th, 1866, is considered one of the most impressive architectural assets of its time. It was almost unparalleled in both size and elaborate design. The architect was the renowned Eduard Knoblauch, who constructed a building rich in illumination, gilding and ornamentation. Due to the involvement of the chief of Police, Willhelm Krutzfeld, the synagogue was not burned down during the November Pogrom (often referred to as "Kristallnacht") on November 9th, 1938 and continued to hold services until 1940 (including a Passover celebration in 1939). It did, however, suffer severe damage through bombings in 1943. ISince 1988, the synagogue was reconstructed to its original look and inaugurated in 1995.