Barcelona: P.S.U.-U.G.T. edicions del secretariat d'agitació i propaganda, ND (ca 1937). First edition. Softcover. 12mo (6 x 4"). Twenty loose postcards housed with their original illustrated envelop by Josep Artigas, as issued.
Published in Barcelona as a joint project of the Catalan socialist party (PSU) and the General Union of Workers (UGT), this striking collection of twenty postcards reproduces images from larger anti-fascist posters produced during the early stages of the Spanish Civil War (1936/37). They feature the splendid graphic work of some of the most active poster artists of the time, such as Lleó Arnau, Jaume Solá, Parriego, Josep Subirats, Michel Adam (Joan Colom Agustí), Martí Bas i Blasi, Lorenzo Goñi, Carles Fontseré, Rafel Tona, and Xirinin. This collection contains the following postcards:
1) U.G.T. El pillatje deshonra el triomf - Eviteu-lo! (Looting dishonors the triumph, Avoid it!): From a General Union of Workers poster by Xirinin. A man with a rifle warns another worker not to steal.
2) U.G.T. Camperol! la revolució necessita el teu esforç (Peasant! The revolution needs your effort): From a General Union of Workers poster by Josep Subirats. A peasant man, wearing a straw hat and with his shirtsleeves and trousers rolled up, works his land with a pick mattock.
3) P.S.U. Per a aixafar el feixisme ingresseu a l'aviacio (To crush fascism, enroll in the air force): From a United Socialist Party of Catalonia poster by Rafel Tona. A raised fist punches the air surrounded by planes flying in the same direction.
4) P.S.U. Els teus germans del front t'esperen per la lluita sagrada de la llibertat (Your brothers on the front await you for the sacred struggle of freedom): From a United Socialist Party of Catalonia poster by Lorenzo Goñi. Bold stencil style figure of a soldier or militiaman, his fist raised in the gesture of solidarity. He wears a forage cap and carries a rifle.
5) P.S.U. Les nits són fredes - treballeu per al front (The nights are cold - work for the front): From a Unified Socialist Party poster by Marti Bas i Blasi. In a cold night, a soldier is seen holding his bayonet and keeping guard at the front.
6) P.S.U.-U.G.T. Per als germans del front, dones! Treballeu (For the Brothers at the Front: Women! Work): From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Carles Fontseré. The serpentine delineation in this illustration distinguishes between the brown and orange of a female figure figure who sits knitting, and the darker shades of blue above where an armed soldier stands on guard under a night sky.
7) U.G.T.-P.S.U. I tú ? Que has fet per la victòria ? (And you? What have you done for victory?). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Lorenzo Goñi. A powerful image of a prostrate soldier with a bleeding headwound pointing at the viewer and asking what they have done to contribute to victory.
8) P.S.U. Industria de pau? De guerra !! (Industry of peace? Of War!!): From a United Socialist Party of Catalonia poster by Martí Bas i Blasi. A large red anti tank gun in the foreground, with a factory plant with smoking chimney in the background.
9) P.S.U.-U.G.T. Camperol! La collita es la reraguarda dels que lluiten (Peasant! The harvest is the rearguard of those who fight). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Martí Bas i Blasi. A close-up study of a peasant harvesting his field.
10) U.G.T.-P.S.U. Mes homes, Mes armes, Mes municions per al front (More men, more weapons, more ammunition for the front). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Lorenzo Goñi. Four stylized figures marching together with sloped rifles, two wear helmets, one a forage cap, and one a peaked cap. Five aeroplanes fill the top left corner.
11) U.G.T.-P.S.U. Treballadors!: Tots contra el feixisme (Workers! All together against fascism). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by "R." A close-up study of a worker wearing a phrygian cap and holding a rifle.
12) U.G.T.-P.S.U. Contra el feixisme mobilitzacio general !!.. (General mobilisation against fascism!!): From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Michel Adam (Joan Colom Agustí). A group of Republican soldiers give the clenched fist salute, while a large red flag is waved in the background.
13) P.S.U.-U.G.T. Treballa per als que lluiten ! (Work for those that fight), is one of the first three posters of the war. From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Carles Fontseré. A worker wearing a U.G.T. armband is ready to strike with a large hammer. Behind him Republican soldiers and flags, all colored in red, seem to be conducting an attack.
14) P.S.U.-U.G.T. Mes homes! Mes armes! Mes municions! (More men! more weapons! more ammunition!). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Jaume Solá. A row of Republican soldiers wearing the U.G.T. armband are fixing their bayonets on the fascist swastika.
15) U.G.T Camperols! El camp es un front de lluita (Paesants! The field is a fighting front). From a General Union of Workers poster by Parriego. A peasant is seen harvesting his field while a large Republican soldier in red is in the background, charging with his bayonet.
16) U.G.T. Camperol, per al triomf cal el teu esforç, ajuda'ns! (Peasant, your effort is needed for victory. Help us!): From an anonymous General Union of Workers poster. Face of a peasant holding a sickle in a red background.
17) P.S.U. Homes forts, al front! (Strong men, at the front!). From an anonymous United Socialist Party poster. A muscular topless soldier is seen holding his rifle.
18) U.G.T.-P.S.U. Assassins! From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Lleó Arnau. A large black bomb flies downwards towards a large red cross.
19) U.G.T.-C.N.T. Unió és força (Unity is strength). From a joint General Union of Workers and the National Confederation of Labor poster by Jaume Solá. Two raised arms with clenched fists wearing armbands reading "U.G.T" and "C.N.T."
20) P.S.U.-U.G.T. Avant! (Forward!). From a joint United Socialist Party and General Union of Workers poster by Carles Fontseré. A determined Republican soldier holding his rifle is ready to move forward. Behind him a large red flag is waved.
As a vehicle of slogans for awareness and mobilisation, these postcards stand out for their artistic creativity and techniques during this period. It is interesting to note that both the Catalan P.S.U. and U.G.T. didn't put the Spanish flag or the Catalan flag on their posters but the hammer and sickle (it is the same as the USSR flag except for lacking the star).
Each postcard is uncirculated, and measures 5 3/4 x 3 3/4". The original illustrated envelop by Artigas with one inch closed tear expertly repaired with traces of glue from removed tape, slightly age-toned and slightly chipped along edges; small stain on flap. Envelope is loosely propped onto a removable white foam cushion and, as are postcards, protected by modern mylar. Text in Catalan. Envelop in overall good- to good, postcards in very good condition. g- to vg. Item #48178