Bologna: NP, 1926. Original photograph(s). Hardcover. Oblong Quarto. 27 leaves with 25 original silverprints (5 1/2 x 8 3/8"). Original dark brown leather with two medium brown labels with blind-stamped lettering and original albumen print laid down into blind-stamped, debossed frame, protected by modern mylar. Endpapers and leaves of album in textured dark brown heavy handmade paper.
The Collegio di S. Vincenzo as depicted in this commemorative album was opened in Bologna in 1876. It was founded by the Sisters of Charity of St. Giovanna Antida Thouret, an order of nuns that had been founded after the French Revolution in 1799 in Paris to pursue the most authentic kind of charity. The Sisters of Charity arrived in Bologna in 1844 and devoted themselves to popular education and welfare activities. In 1875 they bought the Savioli palace at the Via Galliera 40 for some 200 female students who couldn't be accommodated in their old location. The college gained popularity and attracted the attention of Bolognese nobility who turned to the nuns for the education of their daughters.
This commemorative album assembled on the occasion of the 50th Anniversary of the college is illustrated with twenty-six silverprints, including the cover photograph. These extraordinary photographs document the building, showing interior and exterior of the college starting with the entrance hall, the church, the courtyard with its impressive sculptures, the garden, one of them with assembled students and teachers, the entrance to the school, the lounge and its frescos, the chapel of the daughters of Mary, the auditorium, the music room, dormitory, the dining room, the kitchen, the facade from the street and the entrance. All photographs contain the same header, Collegio San Vincenzo - Bologna, and with a descriptive text in fine white calligraphy. Captions in Italian. Very light wear to edges of binding. Silverprints in fine condition. Very good to fine. Item #47540