Jerusalem: Jerusalem Art Publishing Company, ca 1952. First edition. Hardcover. Folio. 11pp., (1) 41 plates with 57 woodcuts. Original tan half cloth over cream paper-covered boards, with brown lettering on the front cover, protected by modern mylar. Spiral binding. Colored endpapers. Illustrated front cover and one printed flap of dustjacket laid in. This collection contains the woodcuts of Israeli artist Jacob Steinhardt, chronologically arranged from 1911 through 1952, with a total of 57 woodcuts, including 16 hand-colored, in multiple hues. The monochromatic woodblocks themselves are beautifully printed in black as well as shades of brown, purple, blue and burgundy over white tan and yellow heavy stock paper. This work is considered to be the best example of Steinhardt's colored woodblock work, for which he used a technique, referred to in the preface as a "reversal of the coloured woodcut of the 16th century." Text by F. Schiff in English. Captions in English and Hebrew. Mylar jacket with light wear, boards with light wear at lower foredge corner. Binding in overall good+, interior in near fine condition. g+ to near fine. Item #47364
*Jacob Steinhardt (1887-1968) was an Israeli painter and woodcut artist. Steinhardt was born in Zerków, Germany (now Poland). He attended the School of Art in Berlin in 1906, then studied painting with Lovis Corinth and engraving with Hermann Struck in 1907. From 1908 -1910 he studied in Paris, where he studied with Henri Matisse and Théophile Steinlen, and in 1911 he studied in Italy. When World War I broke out, he enlisted in the German Army, and served on the Eastern Front in Poland and Lithuania, and then in Macedonia. After the war, he returned to Berlin, and in 1922 married Minni Gumpert. Following harassment by the German authorities, the couple immigrated to Palestine in 1933. Jacob Steinhardt worked mainly in woodcuts depicting biblical and Jewish subjects. He participated in the Berlin Secession and founded the Pathetiker Group. He was a member of the Bezalel school group. In 1934, Steinhardt opened an art school in Jerusalem. In 1948, he became Chairman of the Graphics Department at the Bezalel Academy of Art and Design. He served as director of the school in 1954-1957.