Jedo (Tokyo): Daigaku Nanko, 1870. First printing. Softcover. Quarto (11 3/8 x 8 3/8"). 2 leaves, 8pp., 1 leaf, 24pp. Original stab-bound drab wraps housed in blue cloth folding portfolio with plain tan paper strip (7 5/8 x 1 3/8") mounted to cover at lower foredge. Title page printed in blue. Half-titles for both parts printed in cursive. Two parts printed in Fraktur and Latin typeface. Only three copies listed in OCLC.
Part one focuses on the alphabet and on syllables, part two on distinct features of the German language with various texts, e.g. on the difference between German and Latin letters, reflected as well in the variant typefaces, poetry, rhymes and short short prose as well as basic mathematics. Likely the first of three German books published at the university, followed by two other German books in the same year: "Japanische Dramen", also with the Leipsic imprint, and "Corneills ersten Geographie Stunden."
Text in German, Gothic and Latin script. Portfolio with minor wear and rubbing. Drab wraps with two small abrasions on front, small chip at top edge near foredge on back cover. Few very small ink spots and five small encroachments from bookworms on back cover, light gradual staining here. Some creasing to lower right corner of block. Wraps in overall good, interior and portfolio in very good condition. g to vg. Item #46926
'The school was established as the Shoheizaka Gakumonjo and restored by the new Meji government in 1868 under the name Shohei Gakko. In 1869 the school, the Kaisei Gakko and the Medical School (Igakko) were reorganized into one Grand School (Daigakko) and the Shohei Gakko became the Central College of the Grand School (Daigakko Honko). It became the nation's highest institution of education and learning and in August of 1869 a new role was added to the Central College, the central organ for the educational administration. It was renamed the University (Daigaku) on January 18, 1870.
During the Edo period Japanese teachers had taught in the Dutch language, but after the Meiji Restoration the Medical School adopted English medical learning. Later, the superiority of German medical science was recognized, and the government invited German medical doctors and students were sent to Germany.' (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology).