Breslau: City of Breslau, 1939. Original document. Hardcover. Signed by the mayor "H. Fridrich" on title page. Oblong Elephant Folio (18 1/2 x 22 3/4 x 5"). 50 (2) heavy card stock leaves. Original light brown leather with dark brown stamped lettering, city emblem and ruling stamped to cover. Spine with brown stamped ruling and raised bands.
This album is a farewell present by the City of Breslau to Siegfried Günther Trauer, engineer, architect and city planner in Breslau from 1908 to 1939. It is a photographic resume of Trauer's thirty-one year career in various positions at the city of Breslau. Illustrated with 130 mounted original photographs (from 4 1/3 x 4 1/2 to 9 x 13"), representing a broad selection of projects Trauer was involved in. His tenure included positions as inspector in bridge building (1908–1919), director of the sewage water system (1919–1925), as building officer for public works (1925–1936), and the head of the city planing office (1936–1939). The album contains one folding map of Breslau (32 x 39 1/2") at rear, printed in three colors.
The album features b/w and sepia-toned photographs of Breslau architecture, architectural models (8), along with drawings (2), maps (7) and plans (15). It opens with two photographic reproductions of maps of Breslau. The first showing Breslau in the year 1562, after a drawing by Bartel Weihner (11 x 11"), and the second a preliminary draft of the general construction plan of the city from 1938 (9 x 13"). The original photographs include seven exterior and interior views of the Centennial Hall built in 1912/13. Two of them show the interior of the dome with the Swastika mounted to the center of the dome denoting these photos to be taken after 1933.
There are nine photographs of th Rathaus (City Hall) after its restoration from 1935 to 1938, two show a map and the model of the Hermann Göring Arena, four of the City Theater, before and after its restoration, the fire department, varoious photos of settlements and many other of Trauer's projects, e.g. the Kaiserbrücke (Emperors Bridge), one of the fifteen bridges shown. There are four pictures of streets in settlements, and twelve detailed pictures of roadworks of the Lehrstrasse (Lehr Street), showing the storge of stones, various cobblestone patterns and stones.
Text in German. Some light staining in of front cover and more pronounced along foredge of back cover. A four and a half inch cut through the lower lines of lettering on front cover. Light foxing along upper and lower margins of plates, not affecting photographs. Photographs in fine condition. Very good to fine. Item #46586
Siegfried Günther Trauer (1878–1956) was a civil engineer, city planner and building officer. Trauer is best known for the supporting structure of the Jahrhunterhalle (Centennial Hall), now part of the World Cultural Heritage. During his tenure as a city building officer he worked with Alfred von Scholtz and closely with Max Berg, the architect of the Centennial Hall, today considered as one of the early examples of interdisciplinary planning. Trauer was involved in the execution to the project, working with Willy Gehler of Dyckerhoff & Widmann, and managed the construction progress with architect Paul Schreiber. In 1925 he was elected city building officer, taking over from his supervisor Alfred von Scholtz. He remained in office after the Nazi takeover and retired in October of 1939 for health reasons.