Paris: Librairie Paul Geuthner, 1920. First edition. Hardcover. Quarto (10 1/4 x 7 1/2"). 27, pp (Text),  leaves (Plates). Modern brown cloth, with white lettering to spine.
First edition of this complete reproduction in phototype of the ancient Armenian Gospel manuscript. In 1891, F. C. Conybeare discovered a very ancient Armenian manuscript of the New Testament. It is the oldest Armenian manuscript, and was produced in 989 at the Monastery of Bgheno-Noravank in Syunik. Now housed in the Matenadaran in Erevan and catalogued as MS 2374 (formerly Etchmiadzin Ms. 229), the manuscript has 232 extant leaves which measure approximately 12.6 by 10". The book was made under the patronage of bishop Stepanos and written by the scribe Hovhanes. The binding of the book is made of two carved ivory plaques, probably of Byzantine manufacture of the 6th century. Bound into the book are two leaves (fols. 228-229) with miniatures dating to the late 6th-early 7th century (so-called 'Final Four Miniatures').
Ex-library bookplate on inside of front cover, and reference sticker on inside of back cover. Ex-library stamp to top and bottom edges. Text in French. Binding and interior in overall very good condition. vg. Item #45994