Wien und Leipzig: Gerold, bzw/ Vlg. d. Photographischen Correspondenz, 1864–1898. Hardcover. Large Octavo. Ca. 6,000pp. Original dark brown pebbled cloth with gilt lettering and ruling on spines. Volume 4 half cloth. Volumes 1 (1864) through 22 (1885), volumes 25 (1888) and 35 (1898), containing issues 1-303, 328-339, and 448-459 in 24 volumes. Includes 39 of 45 original photographs mounted to heavy yardstick. 35 of these are from the years 1864-74, plus 285 of 300 plates, some in color. These fine prints of photographs mostly mounted to heavy yardstick, plus many in-text illustrations.
Exceptional collection of this inaugural periodical Photographische Correspondenz representing, with few missing enclosures, the height of this periodical that was published until 1971. Since the early 1850s the development of photography was documented and supported elaborately by magazines in France, England and Austria, the USA and Germany. None of these early magazines were as relevant as Photographische Correspondenz, particularly in German speaking regions. The content of the periodical negotiates photo-technical and photochemical innovations, provides guidance for professional photographers, examine new fine print methods as well as scientific, economic and esthetic aspects of photography. "Fixed to ideas of craftsmanship, the magazine focused on composition, lighting, posing, and the different genres of photography. Fine Art was discussed in its practical aspects, from the discussion of printing processes to questions of the copyright for photographs." (Sachsse).
The comprehensive illustrations, mostly portraits, genre photographs and still lives, with occasional landscapes and city scenes, were original prints in the beginning, often with advertisement on versos. For the most part they cam from Vienna studios, e.g. Ludwig Angerer, Fritz Luckhardt and Josef Székely. Following that initial period high-quality prints dominated, using established reproductions processes that were economically beneficial. The majority of these fine prints were provided provided by Vienna studios and J. Albert, C. Aubel, K. Klietsch, Ch. Reutlinger, L. Rutherfurd, and W. Woodbury. Volume four with stamp on title page (Bibl. d. Dt.-Österr. Alpenvereins), and here text only. The 12 enclosures, incl. 4 original photographs missing. Binding of some volumes loosened, due to the use of heavy cardboard as covers. Front joint of volume 2 restored. Bindings at times lightly rubbed and with light wear along edges. Few plates with slight loss of text in captions due to cuts in during binding. Some volumes with light foxing. Overall in very good condition. vg. Item #44922
The "Photographische Correspondenz" was published for the members of the Vienna Photographic Society (142 members in 1864, 500 around 1900). Beyond that a few additional file copies and copies to trade with other publications were printed. Since the "artistic enclosures" were expensive, we can assume that the editions were not higher than a few hundred copies (see Starl, page 87). According to JAP and APO larger convolutes of volumes have not been offered during the last 40 years.