Berlin/ Hannover/ Leipzig: Verlag "Ross"/ Cigarettenfabrik Constantin/ Film-Kurier/ Ufa-Delca, ca. 1925/ 1928/ 1935. First edition. Cards/Softcovers. This collections consists of 8 separate pieces:
1) Complete set of 40 Photo-postcards housed in a modern 4-ring binder
2) An unused official album for those cards
3) Complete set of 75 cigarette cards in an official album
4) A smaller format copy of the same album (including the cards)
5) "Die Nibelungen. Ein Deutsches Heldenlied". Original German film premiere program.
6) "Das Nibelungenlied. Ein Deutscher Heldensang" ("The Nibelungenlied. A German Epic Poem")
7) Film Program for Die Nibelungen Pt.1: Sigfried
8) Film Program for Die Nibelungen Pt.2: Kriemhilds Rache
All text in German.
1) This is a complete collection of postcards printed by Verlag Ross, for Ufa-Delca Film, to celebrate the release of Fritz Lang's two-part epic fantasy film Die Nibelungen. The postcards measure approximately 3.5 x5.5" each, and are printed in striking sepia-toned photogravure, on heavy cardstock. The images depict characters and dramatic scenes from the film, covering both parts "Siegfried" and "Kriemhilds Rache" ("Kriemhild's Revenge"), and are divided into 6 groupings. Each card is captioned with the serial number, and title of the character or scene, with the name of the actor often mentioned as well. The final group of 4 cards is a sequence showcasing the pivotal dramatic battle between Siegfried and the dragon. This set is not to be confused with the series of colored postcards by Uvachrom, which were based, in part, on these images. The postcards were never used (circulated), but some have a red triangle stamped insignia on the back. The cards are housed in a blue leather covered photo album with plastic sleeves. The cards and album are in near fine condition overall.
2) Also included is an unused (empty) official Verlag Ross album to house the postcards. Oblong brown-grey thick paper wrappers, illustrated with a gilt-bordered cutout image from one the postcards, depicting Seigfried and the dragon, and gilt-stamped lettering. Brown string-tassel. The album is empty and contains 25 double-sided leaves. Publisher's debossed blind-stamp on the bottom of the back wrapper. Protected by modern mylar.
3) Die Nibelungen (Complete set of 75 Cigarette Cards in an Album). Small folio. 13x10". Textured Gray-green string-tied wrappers, with embossed brown and gold lettering and helmet illustration on the front cover. Yellow-green decorative tassel. The is an album containing the complete collection of Cigarette Cards for "Die Nibelungen", produced by the Cigarettenfabrik Constantin company of Hannover in 1928. Each card measures 2.5x4" and featured b/w photogravure images from the film. Many of the images featured are the same as those of those of the Verlag Ross set, but many are unique to this collection. Each double-sided leaf of the album contains a mat with an average of 6 windowed cutouts, framing the cards, which have been slid underneath. Each cutout section contains a caption in German bellow, naming or describing the image on the respective card. The set coves both parts of the film "Siegfried" and "Kriemhilds Rache". Introduction to the collection from the company, on the first page of the album. Text in German. ìWrappers with some minor creasing along the edges and to the corners. Interior with some minor bumping to the corners of some of the leaves, a light closed tear along the bottom left corner of one of the leaves. Wrappers, interior and cards in very good+ to near fine condition overall. Protected by modern mylar.
4) The rarer smaller variant of the same album, with smaller cards as well. Complete, including all the cards. Protected by modern mylar.
5) "Die Nibelungen. Ein Deutsches Heldenlied". 24pp. Rare original theater program for the German premiere of the film on Feb. 14th 1924, held at the Ufa-Palast am Zoo in Berlin. Dark grey paper wrappers, with red string-tied binding, and the original UFA gilt-stamped embossed seal. Nicely illustrated throughout with b/w gravure images, featuring stills from the film as well as portrait images of director Fritz Lang, and screenwriter Thea Von Harbou. The images accompany a series of short essays on the making of the film, including one from von Harbou herself. Page 11 contains period manuscript notes in pencil from a previous owner, which note, in detail, various specific scenes from the film. In near fine condition overall. Protected by modern mylar.
6) "Das Nibelungenlied. Ein Deutscher Heldensang" ("The Nibelungenlied. A German Epic Poem"). Wezel & Naumann. Leipzig. 1935. 79pp. Blue cloth boards with debossed gilt lettering on the front cover and spine. This finely printed book pairs text passages from the original medieval German Epic poem "Das Nibelungenlied", with relevant b/w photographic reproductions of stills from Fritz Lang's 1924 film adaptation. Most of the images are smaller cutouts pasted onto the pages, but the book also includes 6 full-page glossy photographic plates (including frontispiece). All text finely printed in blue gothic script on japan vellum pages. An additional loose copy of one of the smaller images laid in at the front. Binding with some minor bumping to the corners. Interior with name of a previous owner on the endpapers. Rusting to the staples of the binding. Staring at the gutter of a number of pages. Binding tight overall. Binding in near fine, interior in very good+ condition overall.
7 & 8) Die Nibelungen: Siegfried [WITH] Kriemhilds Rache [TWO SOUVENIR FILM PROGRAMS]
Berlin: Film-Kurier, . First edition. Two premiere souvenir programs depicting both parts of Fritz Lang's monumental "Die Nibelungen" production, "Die Nibelungen: Siegfried" (released on 2/14/1924), and "Die Nibelungen: Kriemhilds Rache" (Kriemhild's Revenge), released on 4/26/1924.
- Die Nibelungen. I Film: Siegfried. Large quarto (approx.11.5 x 8.5"). Unpaginated. pp. Original photo-illustrated wrappers. Illustrated with 22 sepia tone photogravures, this program contains the film credits as well as a synopsis of the story. With a later variant cover image (showing Siegfried with a sword), and a mention of both parts 1&2 of the film.
- Kriemhilds Rache: Small folio (approx.11.5 x 8.5"). Unpaginated. pp. Original photo-illustrated wrappers. This program devoted to the second part of the "Nibelungen" movie contains 19 sepia-tone photogravures as well as the usual film credits and the synopsis.
Text in German. Horizontal folding crease at centers of the front wrappers for both programs. Interior of Siegfried with some minor water staining to the first two pages. wrappers in very good+, interiors in very good+ to near fine condition overall. vg+ to near fine. Softcover. vg+ to near fine. Item #44791