Atlanta: NP, 1917. First edition. Softcover. Quarto. 9.5x6". 31pp. + a fold-out image. Tan wrappers with embossed gilt lettering on the front cover. As the title states, this publication is a history of Hebrew Benevolent Congregation synagogue (now known simply as "The Temple"), the oldest Jewish congregation in Atlanta, Georgia, from its inception in 1867 until 1917.
In addition to the text tracing the history of the congregation chronologically, there are lists of then current members, as well as a chronological lists of various rabbis, officials and officers of the synagogue from its earliest days, until the time of publication. Accompanying the text are 2 tipped in b/w photographic reproductions (an additional image is missing), on displaying the facade of the synagogue, and the other a frontispiece portrait of then Rabbi David Marx. The final page contains a fold-out b/w photographic reproduction, with an image measuring 6 3/4x9 1/2", showing the temple's kindergarten class of 1915-1916.
Wrappers with some minor rubbing and/or chipping to corners, and some creasing and light sunning along the top edge of the covers. Minor water stains along the edge of the book block. Interior with one of the tipped in photographs missing. Wrappers in very good-, interior in very good+ condition overall. Protected by modern mylar. Quite scarce. vg- to vg+. Item #44784
*Unfortunately the synagogue is to this day most well known for the infamous bombing that took place on October 12, 1958. White supremacists had been angered by the synagogue's continued civil rights advocacy work during the 1950s, and committed the crime in response. This event was famously depicted in a pivotal scene from the Academy Award-winning film Driving Miss Daisy (1989).