Osnaburg, Starck County, Ohio: Henry Kurtz, 1836. Second edition. Hardcover. Small Octavo. 450 (6)pp. Original calf with metal clasps. Printed in two columns. Includes the four gospels, the history of the apostles by Luke, Paul, Peter, John and other epistles in a translation of Martin Luther. At rear a list of all books of the New Testament, Luther's warning to credit him in case of using his actual text, a brief epilog of the printer, instructions for the use of epistles on Sundays and Holidays and epistles relating to the apostle and other holidays which are celebrated in only some places. The printing date in this edition is blurred.
Text in German. Binding rubbed with light wear along edges; one metal clasp missing. Exlibris on inside front cover and additional owner's name inked to this page. Small burn mark, not penetrating to front free endpapers and title page. Brief inked notes to back free endpaper and inside back cover. Medium foxing throughout. Binding and interior in good- to good condition. g- to g. Item #43138
Henry (Heinrich) Kurtz (1796–1874) came to America in 1817 at the age of 21. He became a pastor at the Western Pennsylvania parish in 1823. Right from the beginning there were rumblings of dissatisfaction due to his advanced ideas about communal movements and his blunt, at times untactful behavior. He resigned and left for Columbiana County in Ohio and on to Starck County soon after where he became a printer and planner for communal society. In 1825 the first issue of his "Wiedergefundenes Paradies" (Found Again Paradise) was published. Among many other contributions in 1826 Kurtz published the constitution of the Harmony Society, a Christian theosophy and pietist society, originally founded in Germany Johann Georg Rapp, who's Indiana settlement had been sold to Robert Owen who renamed the society "New Harmony." In the same year the first meeting of Kurtz's friends of the Christliche Industrie Gesellschaft Concordia took place in the same year, a society to establish an educational institute, a house for the care of the elderly, a library, a printing shop, a general hospital and a Union church. Among the many publications of the printing shop was the New Testament, a translation into German by Martin Luther in 1836. The first German Lutheran New Testament published in America was printed in 1743.