Paris: Goupil & Co., 1910. Limited First edition. Hardcover. 1/200. Folio (15 x 12 3/4"). Each of the five fascicules in original printed stiff paper wrappers, with publisher's logo and red and black lettering to front covers. The five fascicules are housed in two olive cloth spine over printed paper covered portfolios, with publisher's logo and red and black lettering to front covers. String ties. Main title in red and black lettering. Decorative initial.
This handsomely produced monograph on Stafford House, a magnificent mansion located in the St. James' district of London's West End, and the spectacular private art collections it contains, is lavishly illustrated with no less than 3 in-text, and 100 mounted photogravure plates, of which 20 are in full color.
The construction of the house started in 1825 for the Duke of York and Albany, the second son of King George III, and it was initially known as York House. Sir Robert Smirke was originally hired to design the house, until under the influence of the Duke's mistress the Duchess of Rutland, he was replaced by Benjamin Dean Wyatt who mainly designed the exterior. The house was only a shell by the time of the death of the Duke in 1827. It is constructed from Bath stone, in a neo-classical style, being the last great London mansion to use this essentially Georgian style.
The house was purchased by and completed for the 2nd Marquess of Stafford (later 1st Duke of Sutherland) and was known as Stafford House for almost a century. The completed building was three floors in height, the State rooms being on the first floor or piano nobile, family living rooms on the ground floor and family bedrooms on the second floor. There is also a basement containing service rooms, including the government wine cellar.
The interior was designed by Benjamin Dean Wyatt, Sir Charles Barry and Sir Robert Smirke and was completed in 1840.
"The Sutherlands’ liberal politics and love of the arts attracted many distinguished guests, including factory reformer the Earl of Shaftesbury, anti-slavery author Harriet Beecher Stowe and Italian revolutionary leader Giuseppe Garibaldi. Chopin gave a recital there in 1848 in the presence of Queen Victoria. Almost as influential as the visitors was the décor, which was to set the fashion for London reception rooms for nearly a century. The mainly Louis XIV Style interiors created a stunning backdrop for the Sutherlands’ impressive collection of paintings and objets d’art, much of which can still be seen in the house today." For more information, see: Stourton, James. "Great Houses of London," London, Francis Lincoln Publisher (2012).
The plates depict masterpieces of various schools and masters, such as:
- St. Francis Borgia: The Duke of Gandia at the door of a convent, by Diego Rodriguez da Silva Velazquez (Spanish School).
- Bacchante and Satyr, by Nicolas Poussin (French School)
- Queen Charlotte; Lord Ligonier; Elizabeth Sutherland, by Sir Joshua Reynolds (English School)
- Coronation of Marie de Medicis, by Peter Paul Rubens (Flemish School)
- Millicent, Duchess of Sutherland, by John Singer Sargent (American School)
- A River Scene, by Jan van Goyen (Dutch School)
- Group of Children listening to an old piper, by Louis Le Nain (French School)
- The Prodigal Son, by Bartolome Esteban Murillo (Spanish School)
- The Great Hall and Staircase, Stafford House, on the occasion of a visit of the Queen Victoria, 1849, by Eugène Lamy (French School)
Also includes sculptures, pieces of furniture and artworks such as:
- Ganymede Feedong Jove's Eagle, marble group by Bertel Thorvaldsen (1797-1838)
- Bronze clock, with figures and globe, by Jean Romilly (1714-1796)
- Oliver Cromwell, marble bust by Edward Pierce (1630-1695)
One of 200 numbered copies of which this one is stamped "OFFERT" (Gift) on the colophon.
Minor age-toning along edges of wrappers and portfolios. Minor and sporadic foxing throughout. Wrappers and portfolios in overall good+ to very good, interior in very good condition. g+ to vg. Item #43112