London: Oxford University Press, 1949-1955. First edition. Hardcover. Folio (14 1/4 x 10 1/2"). xvi, 142pp (Text vol. of Vol. 1); vi, 66 leaves (Plates vol. of Vol. 1); xxii, 256pp (Text vol. of Vol. 2); xx, 21 + 112 leaves (Plates vol. of Vol. 2). Ex-library full cloth, with gold lettering to spines and front covers.
Kawa is a site in Sudan, located between the Third and Fourth Cataracts of the Nile on the east bank of the river, across from Dongola. In ancient times it was the site of several temples to the Egyptian god Amun, built by the Egyptian rulers Amenhotep III and Tutankhamun, and by Taharqa and other Kushite kings.
The first volume (two parts) present the free-standing inscriptions which were discovered there, running from the Middle Kingdom into Christian Times. These inscriptions are presented with a translation, as well as a philological and historical commentary (Text volume). They are splendidly reproduced in 66 full-page plates of photogravures and line drawings (Plates volume).
The second volume (also in two parts) deals with the history and archaeology of the site (Text volume). The plates volume contains 21 full-page plates of plans and sections, as well as 112 full-page plates of photogravures and line drawings depicting general views, monuments, details, reliefs of the temples.
Minor shelf wear. Ex-library copies with bookplate on inside of each front cover, stamp at upper and lower paper edges, and blind stamp at lower margin of each title page. Bindings and interior in overall very good condition. vg. Item #42633