New York: William Edwin Rudge, 1930. Limited First edition. Hardcover. Folio (19 5/8 x 14 5/8").  leaves (List of Plates and Introductory Text by the artist);  loose leaves (Plates), as issued. Original dark brown cloth portfolio, with gold lettering to front cover. String ties. Previous owners' Ex-Libris on inside of front cover (Edward Laurence Doheny*, and Countess Carrie Estelle Doheny**).
This magnificent portfolio contains twenty matted lithographs of Jerusalem (including title) by Russian born American artist Saul Raskin (1878-1966).
The splendid illustrations depict the following views and scenes:
2) David Street
3) Jerusalem - Wailing Wall
4) Jerusalem - Mount of Olives
5) Jerusalem from Jaffa Gate
6) Beggar Street
7) Last street before the "Wall"
8) Wailing Wall
9) At the Wailing Wall
10) Jewish Jerusalem
11) Christian Jerusalem
12) Moslem Jerusalem
13) Small Beth Hamedrash
14) Synagogue at "Hundred Gates"
15) Tower of David
16) National Library
17) Ashkenazi Jew
18) Yemen Jew
19) Sephardic Jew
20) Persian Jew
Each plate (except title) is signed in the plate as well as hand-captioned and hand-signed in pencil by the artist at lower right corner (caption) and lower left corner of the plate (signature).
The lithographic plates measure 19 x 14" (image: 12 7/8 x 9 1/2"; mat: 19 1/4 x 14 1/4").
One of 200 unnumbered copies.
Portfolio slightly creased along spine. Two small closed tears at tail of spine. Inside of flaps slightly foxed. Small reference number (?) at lower right corner of first text leaf (not affecting lettering. Portfolio in overall good+ to very good, interior in very good condition. vg. Item #42416
* Edward Laurence Doheny (1856-1935) was a California oil tycoon who, in 1892, drilled the first successful oil well in the Los Angeles City Oil Field. His success set off a petroleum boom in Southern California, and made him a fortune. However, Edward L. Doheny spent his last years in prolonged court battles on charges of bribery and corruption in the famous Teapot Dome scandal. He built several of the landmark buildings of West Adams, including the St. Vincent de Paul Catholic church at Figueroa and Adams, the Chester Place park that is now the campus of Mt. St. Mary's College, and the Doheny Library on the USC campus. (For more information, see Martin R. Ansell's "Oil Baron of the Southwest: Edward L. Doheny and the Development of the Petroleum Industry in California and Mexico," Ohio State University Press (1998))
** Countess Carrie Estelle Doheny (1875-1958) was a philanthropist and the second wife of oil tycoon Edward L. Doheny. Born Carrie Estelle Betzold, she met Doheny in 1899 while working as his company's telephone operator, and they married the following year. With her husband often away on business Carrie took charge of the family's personal expenses, including the management of their Chester Place and Beverly Hills estates, and donated large sums to various charities and institutions. Her most spectacular gift was the $1.1 million she provided for a library at USC in memory of her stepson, Edward L. "Ned" Doheny, Jr.. She also funded the construction of St. Vincent's Church in Los Angeles and buildings at Loyola Marymount University, and gave her rare book collection to the St. John's Seminary in Camarillo. For her services to the Catholic Church she was awarded the title Papal Countess by Pope Pius XII in 1939. Carrie was steadfastly supportive of her husband throughout his controversial career, and after his death in 1935 she carried out his last wish and destroyed all his personal papers. In 1949 she established the still-active Carrie Estelle Doheny Foundation to perpetuate her charitable works. The Doheny home at Chester Place is now a campus of Mount Saint Mary's College. (For more information, see biography by Bobb Edwards).