Einsiedeln: Verlagsanstalt Benziger & Co. A.-G. 1934. First edition. Softcover. Quarto (9 1/4 x 6 1/2"). 32pp (Text), pp (Plates). Original illustrated wrappers. Laid in at rear, two modern illustrated brochures of the abbey.
Published to comemorate the 1000th anniversary of its foundation, this work is a splendid monograph on the Einsiedeln Abbey, a Benedictine monastery located in the town of Einsiedeln, Canton of Schwyz, Switzerland.
Erected in 934, Einsiedeln has been famous for a thousand years, and many saints and scholars have lived within its walls. The study of letters, printing, and music have greatly flourished there, and the abbey has contributed largely to the glory of the Benedictine Order.
Dedicated to Our Lady of the Hermits - the title being derived from the circumstances of its foundation, for the first inhabitant of the region was Saint Meinrad, a hermit - the abbey has been a major resting point on the pilgrimage route to the shrine of the apostle St. James the Great for centuries.
This work is splendidly illustrated throughout with 111 full-page b/w photographic reproductions.
Minor shelf wear, with slight rubbing at head and tail of spine. Text in German. Wrappers and interior in overall very good condition. vg. Item #42219