Historical and Descriptive Essays Accompanying a Series of Engraved Specimens of the Architectural Antiquities of Normandy [WITH HANDWRITTEN LETTER OF AUGUSTUS PUGIN TIPPED IN]
London: M. A. Nattali, 1833. Later edition. Hardcover. Folio (13 x 10 1/2"). VIII, 64pp (Engraved title & text), 4pp (List of Plates);  leaves (Plates). Contemporary gilt-stamped morocco, with gold lettering and tooling to spine. Raised bands. All edges gilt. Dentelles. Marbled endpapers. Binding signed by T. Aitken. Tipped in on inside of front free endpaper an handwritten letter by Augustus Pugin (9 x 7 1/8"), dated August 25, 1829, and addressed to F. Webster, Esq. The letter has retained its red wax seal featuring Pugin's initials "A. P." Additional engraved title.
Originally published in 1828, "Historical and Descriptive Essays Accompanying a Series of Engraved Specimens of the Architectural Antiquities of Normandy"'s aim was to define and "clearly exemplify the Christian architecture of the French province."
Abounding with "magnificent palaces, stately castles, beautiful churches, and sumptuous mansions, together with a variety of monuments of almost every kind," Normandy reveals its architectural richness through 80 tissue-guarded steel-engravings (including engraved title) depicting chiefly churches belonging to an early class of buildings, such as:
- The Church of La Grande Maladerie (ca 1060), near Caen (Engraved title).
- The Church of the Holy Trinity: L'Abbaye aux Dames (1066), Caen.
- Church of St. Stephen: L'Abbaye aux Hommes (1077), Caen.
- Church of St. Nicholas (1070), Caen.
- Than Church (1060), Caen.
- Church of St. Loup (1060), near Bayeux.
- The Cathedral of Bayeux (1100 to 1300).
- Church of St. Peter (1260), Caen.
- The Ducal Palace (1260), Caen.
- The Church of St. Ouen (1340), Rouen.
- Church of St. Vincent, Rouen.
- Nunnery of St. Clair, Rouen.
- Fountain de la Crosse (between 1422 and 1461), Rouen.
- Stone Cross and Turret (1500), Rouen.
- Palais de Justice (1500), Rouen.
- Hotel de Bourgtheroulde (1500), Rouen.
- L'Abbaye de St. Amand (1500), Rouen.
- Cathedral Notre Dame (1500), Rouen.
- Church of St. Michael (1380), Vaucelles.
- Church of Caudebeck.
- Archbishop's Palace, Rouen.
- Church of St. Maclou, Rouen.
- Two wooden doors, Rouen.
- Three wooden doors, Caen.
- Church of St. Jacques (1350), Dieppe.
- Chateau Fontaine Le Henri (1500), near Caen.
Also includes plates depicting: Six specimens of string courses from the Church of St. Ouen, Rouen; Palais de Justice; St Nicholas' Church, etc..; Four specimens of parapets from St. John's Church, Caen, and the Bayeux Cathedral; Architectural details (elevations and sections) of the Church of St. Ouen, Rouen, and Chateau Fontaine Le Henri; Seven specimens of stained glass (Church of St. Ouen, Rouen); and ten specimens of stained glass (also from the Church of St. Ouen, Rouen). Each of the last two plates being in two states (hand-colored and b/w).
Binding rubbed along edges. Ex-Library copy, with reference number at tail of spine, bookplate on inside of front cover (Occidental College), stamp at lower margin of printed title, and pocket at rear. Ex-Libris of previous owner featuring the crest of the Hawley baronets of Leybourne Grange, Kent, England, with the motto "Suivez Moi" (Follow Me) on inside of front board. Previous owner's stamp on inside of front free endpaper (Wm. H. Schuchardt). Heavy foxing to very first leaves, minor to moderate foxing throughout. Binding in overall good to good+, interior in good to very good condition. g to vg. Item #41159