München, Berlin: Various / Stiftung Jüdisches Museum Berlin, 2014. First edition. Softcover. Poster stamps were originally used to seal envelopes and advanced to become an advertising tool in the 2nd half of the 19th century. They became very popular in the early 20th century, not only as an advertising tool but also as collector's items. Millions of poster stamps were issued by businesses and distributed among customers, sold in stationary stores or used with business correspondence. AEG was the first company in the industry to hire a designer to help create and develop its products. Nobody less then Peter Behrens, an important architect and designer of the modernist movement, was commissioned to design the AEG company logo. He profoundly influenced the company's image, from product design and advertising to the architecture of its factories.
The poster stamps in this collection have the sizes of regular stamps, app. 2 x 2 inches, and are a representative cross section of Jewish businesses in and around Munich, except one Berlin business, from the early 20th century to the early days of the Third Reich and the subsequent Aryanization of these businesses:
Kaufhaus Oberpollinger (19)
J. Tauber Damenhüte (6)
Kaufhaus Philipp Mendelsohn
Julius Mandelbaum Schuhwaren
E. Feuchtwanger Rinderfett & Margarine-Werke
Seidenhaus Gebr. Frank
Kupfer & Mohrenwitz Nähseidefabrik
Münchener Löwenbräu (4 each)
N. Neumeyer Herren & Knaben Garderobe
Dr. Reis Lenicet Puder (3 each)
F. Hirschberg Sport und Mode
Sport Bekleidung Bamberger & Hertz (2 each)
M. Neumann Schmalzblume
Lodenfabrik Joh. Gg. Frey
Albert Rosenthal, Kgl. Bayr, Hoflieferant
Seidenhaus Meyer & Lissmann
Otto Landauer, Kgl. Bayr. Hoflieferant
Julius Thannhäser Herren- und Kanbenhüte
Allgäuer Käsereien Hoyer & Lavo
Rabbi Dr. B. Wolf (1 each)
and one general poster stamp showing the Karlsplatz in München w/o business affiliation.
The Kaufhaus Tietz is one of the businesses that gained national notoriety. It was Hermann Tietz who provided the capital for the first department store, opened 1882 in Gera by his nephew Oscar Tietz. The company operated under the name Hermann Tietz. The Munich branch was opened in 1889 and moved its headquarters to Berlin in 1900, settling nearby the leading department store chain of the time, Wertheim. In 1926 the company acquired various business, e.g. the famous KeDeWe, and by 1927 the payroll counted 13,000 employees. In 1933, during the Aryanization based on the Nuremberg Laws, the company was renamed "Hertie" (Her and Tie, taken from the original name "Her"mann "Tie"tz) and managed by Georg Karg, who eventually bought the company when pressure was exerted onto the rightful owners. By then it was the second largest department store chain in Germany. The advertising stamp depicts the paper department of the Munich store.
One of the poster stamps of the Kaufhaus Oberpollinger depicts the original department store built in 1905 by the architect Max Littmann. The property had been bought by the Hamburg merchant of Jewish descent Max Emden (M. J. Emden Söhne) The new company Oberpollinger GmbH was specifically founded for the purpose of establishing a department store in Munich. The name was taken from a previous owner, the brewer Christoph Pollinger, coupled with a grain of local history, specifically his two branches, the "Obere" and "Untere" Pollinger. Persecuted by the Nazis, Max Emden moved to the Swiss Canton Tessin and eventually acquired the Isole di Brissago on Lagio Maggiore in 1934 where he retired and indulged his athletic inclinations and a life as an art collector.
Some stamps with minor damage to perforation, Julius Thannhäuser and one stamp of Löwenbräu München cut on right side, otherwise in near fine condition.
Sammelwut und Bilderflut: Werbegeschichte im Kleinformat. Jüdisches Museum Berlin, 2014, First edition. Octavo. 64pp. Original color illustrated wraps with black lettering on cover. An overview of the the so-called "Remarkomanie,"
the passion to collect poster stamps. This passion reached its peak from about 1910-1914, when app. 100,000 different poster stamps were printed in editions of millions. Only a few stamps were advertising specifically Jewish products but Jewish businesses participated in all facets of the poster stamp production. The outbreak of W.W.I brought the production almost to a complete halt and replaced by poster stamps supporting the war effort. After the war this type of advertising only played a secondary role in business but the poster stamps remained popular as collector's items. The periodical "Der Propagandamarken-Sammler (The Propaganda Stamp Collector)" provided advice on how to create a good collection.
With contributions by Mariette Franz, Leonore Maier, Iris Blochel-Dittrich, and Aubrey Pomerance. Profusely illustrated with color reproduction of poster stamps on glossy paper. The exhibition focuses on businesses from Berlin and the Northern parts of Germany. However, a few supra regional companies are represented in the collection at hand, e.g. AEG, Dr. Reis Lenicet, Kupfer & Mohrenwitz Nähseidefabrik, and Torol. Text in German. Small tag with number 9 written to it. Otherwise in fine condition. near fine to fine. Item #41011