Paris: Vincent, Fréal et Cie. 1930. First edition. Loose_leaf. Folio. pp. (title and text), 15 loose plates, as issued, with the original portfolio missing. Title page in green and black lettering. Published shortly after the artist's death, "Relais 1930" is a striking homage to the art and genius of Edouard Bénédictus, a French painter, writer, composer and chemist who started his career in the Art Nouveau period. This collection contains 15 vivid pochoir plates featuring 42 Art Nouveau designs which display an imaginative geometric elaboration of fields of pure color, punctuated in places with abstract floral motifs. Each plate measures 18 1/2 x 14 1/2" (pochoir illustration 14 2/8 x 11"), some of which are protected with a loose tissue-guard. Plates #10 &11 are stuck together via the original printing ink. Minor foxing to margins of a few plates, not affecting images. Minor smudging to the back of a few plates. In overall very good condition. vg. Item #40611
About the author: Edouard Bénédictus (1879-1930) was a painter, writer, composer and chemist who started his career in the Art Nouveau period. However, he was greatly receptive to the stylistic evolution started in 1912 and that became Art Deco. Appreciated for his portfolios "Variations" in 1923 and "Nouvelles variations" in 1928, he became one the most famous protagonists of the floral Art Deco. He played a special role in the Pavillion de l'Ambassade Française in the Exposition des Arts Decoratifs in Paris in 1925. He worked with the most famous designers in this period, especially with Andre Groult for whom he created many tapestries for furniture. He was a friend of Maurice Ravel who was an "Apache" club member as him. Ravel's song "Noël des jouets" received its first performance at one of the Bénédictus musical evenings. Maurice Delage described him as "le Mage au savoir sans limites". "Bénédictus was famous for his elegant silks and satins designed for top firms like Brunet, Meunié et Cie., and Tassinari et Châtel. His rugs decorated the Grand Salon and Music Room of the magnificent French Embassy at the 1925 Exhibition.