New York: Press of De Leeuw, Oppenheimer & Co., 231 William Street, 1892. First edition. Hardcover. Octavo. 48 (1)pp. Original black cloth with gilt lettering and blind-stamped decorative ruling on covers, protected by modern mylar.
"In selecting from the numerous collections of Hymns we have been guided chiefly by simplicity of music, language and thought. In making the extracts from the Psalms great care has been exercised in the choice of such as expressed the purest aspirations of the soul, and that at the same time were best adapted for responsive prayers. In some instances extracts of two and even three short Psalms have been united, and some long Psalms divided, in order to make the selections uniform for worship." (Preface). Contains fifty-four hymns and twenty-six selections from the Psalms, with the Decalogue at rear. light wear along edges of binding, small chips. Inside front cover with residue from removed Ex-Libris. Front free endpaper with cutout of 1 1/2 x 3" in right lower corner. Starting at page 17, with small chip at bottom left of page, and starting at pages 35 and 47. Back endpaper with 1 x 2 1/2" chip at upper right corner. Block lightly age-toned. Overall in good condition. g. Item #40480
The Temple of Israel of the City of New York is a Reform congregation incorporated as Yod b'Yod ("Hand in Hand") by German Jews in 1873. Soon after that its Hebrew school "Gates of Learning" was established for 45 children. After renting and moving through a number of spaces to worship, the congregation purchased a building on 116th Street.
Initially lay-led, the congregation appointed its first Rabbi Maurice Harris (1882–1930). In the same year the congregations changed its name to "Temple Israel of Harlem." The successors of Rabbi Harris were William Rosenblum (1930–1963), Martin Zion (1963–1991), Judith Lewis (1991–2006, and David Gelfand since 2006. In 1887 the congregation purchased a building at Fifth Avenue and 125th Street and constructed its own synagogue building at 201 Lenox Avenue in 1907, and in 1920 into a Neoclassical building at 210 West 91th Street, designed by William Tachau. The name of the congregations was changed to "Temple Israel of the City of New York and by 1929, membership exceeded 950. When Martin Zion became Rabbi in 1930 and the trustees decided to relocate the synagogue to the Upper East Side of Manhattan in 1963 where construction of a new building began at 112 East 75th Street in 1964, designed by architect Peter Claman.