Rehovot: Weizmann Institute of Science, 1968. Original document. Hardcover. Oblong Quarto. 28 plates with 39 silver gelatin photographs (5 x 7"), all tipped onto black card stock with tissue guards, all titled in white ink under the photographs. Original padded black leather album bound with leather strings and mounted, decorative stamped metal plate bolted to cover with turquoise ornamentation at corners. Black leather pocket with signed typed card sewn to inside black silk cover: "Dear Lilo and Rolf, May our bonds remain closely knit despite the distance that will now separate us," signed in two hands "Yours Meyer and Shirley." Dr. Rolf Friedemann Pauls was the first German Ambassador to Israel and served in this capacity from 1965 to 1968.
The photo-album is divided into two sections, one documents the campus of the Weizmann Institute of Science, the second documents four dignitaries during visits on the occasion of the bestowal of Honorary Fellowships by the Weizmann Institute of Science.
The first part containing 23 of the photographs showing various institutes on campus, e.g. the Ullmann Institute of Life Sciences, the Dannie N. Heineman Accelerator Laboratory and the Tandem van de Graaf Accelerator, the Michael Institute of Nuclear Science, the Daniel Sieff Research Institute, the Wix Auditorium and Central Library, the Wolfson Institute of Experimental Biology, the Final Resting Place of Chaim and Vera Weizmann, and a number of other institutes and residential areas.
The second section contains 16 photographs divided into three parts:
Konrad Adenauer's visit in 1966 with seven photographs showing the German Chancellor with Mrs. Chaim Weizmann (1), Dr. Nahum Goldmann and Meyer W. Weisgal (2), Meyer W. Weisgal (3), Adenauer at the Weizmann grave (4), Adenauer's response to his honorary Fellowship Award in the Wix Auditorium (5 and 6), and Adenauer with Meyer W. Weisgal and President of the Weizmann Institute Abba Eban (7).
German Chancellor Ludwig Erhardt in 1967 with five photographs, two of them with Ambassador Pauls: the greeting by Meyer W. Weisgal (1), Weisgal reading out the Chancellor's Honorary Fellowship Citation (2), Erhardt's response in the Wix Auditorium (3), Erhardt with the head of the Dannie Heineman Laboratory and Ambassador Pauls (4), and Erhardt and Pauls at the grave of Chaim and Vera Weizmann (5).
Experimental nuclear physicist Wolfgang Gentner in 1965, prior director of the Synchrocyclotron Department at CERN and the Max Planck Institute of Nuclear Physics at Heidelberg, with four photographs: with Meyer W. Weisgal and Abba Eban (1), with Gentner's response to his Honorary Fellowship (2), Gentner with the incased scroll (3) and Gentner with Ambassador Pauls (4).
The Weizmann Institute is a public multidisciplinary research university in Rehovot, Israel. It was founded as the Daniel Sieff Research Institute in 1934. When Chaim Weizmann became President of the State of Israel in 1949, the institute was renamed the Weizmann Institute of Science in his honor. near fine. Item #39835
Ambassador Rolf Friedemann Pauls was the son of a Protestant clergyman. Pauls became a career officer in the infantry of the Wehrmacht. Due to a serious injury while the commanding officer of a company in Russia Pauls lost his left arm. In 1944 he was awarded the Knight's Cross. According to General Hans Speidel, who belonged to the inner circle of the conspirators in the raid to assassinate Hitler on July 20, 1944, Pauls was part of the plan but escaped arrest due to the silence of others. At first Pauls appeared to be an inappropriate choice for the post of Ambassador to Israel and his inauguration on August 19, 1965 was met by counter-demonstrations. Paul's tenure was generally judged as successful. From 1968-1973 Pauls was appointed to the post of Ambassador to the United States, after that to China from 1973-1976 and to NATO from 1976-1980.