London: Published (for the proprietor) by E. J. Kibblewhite, 1884-1886. First edition. Hardcover. Folio (12 1/2 x 8 1/2"). Unpaginated. Contemporary burgundy cloth, with gold lettering and decoration to spines.
This striking two-volume set contains the complete 456 architectural plates (no text pages) that were featured in the London weekly "Building News and Engineering Journal" between February 15, 1884 and December 31, 1886. The magazine's aim was to be a weekly illustrated record of the progress of architecture, sculpture, painting, furniture, engineering, metropolitan improvements, and sanitary reform. Founded in London in January 1855, the journal appeared first as a monthly, and was called "The Land & Building News." It was renamed "The Building News" on January 2, 1857 and from then on, appeared on a weekly basis. The magazine remained in print until March 12, 1926 when it merged with a competing London journal called "The Architect," and changed its name to "The Architect and Building News." The magazine continued to be published until July 31, 1968.
The stunning plates, of which many are folded, are reproduced in black and white, duo-tone photo-lithography and "photo-tint." They depict a large variety of old and new buildings (mostly Gothic revival and Victorian style) executed by some of the most eminent architects and engineers of their time. The buildings are both private and public, and includes churches and cathedrals. There are also exquisite plates dedicated to fine arts (paintings, sculptures) and decorative arts (furniture, glass, ceramics, metalwork, wallpaper).
Some of the buildings mentioned are the following: Borwick Hall, a 16th-century manor house at Borwick, Lancashire, England; The Temple of Solomon; Typical Oxfordshire spires (East Adderbury, Bloxham, and Kings Sutton); The Church of St. Mary the Virgin, in British Honduras; The Scottish Baronial mansion of Kinlochmoidart House; The Briary Cowes; The Constitutional Club, a London gentlemen's club; The Glasgow Municipal Buildings; New Chancel Penllergare Church; The High Altar of West Gorton Franciscan Church, in Manchester; Stirling Castle; The Royal Holloway College, in Egham; St. Saviour's Church, in Sunbury-on-Thames; Bristol Dock Offices; Kensington Court; Westminster Hall; Cambridge University Laboratory; Thomas Coats Memorial Baptist Church; Abbeystead House; Church Missionary Society Children's Home, Limpsfield; The National Liberal Club, London; The New Westgate Hotel, Newport, Wales; New Admiralty and War Offices, Whitehall; etc..
Includes the work of some of the following eminent architects: Thomas Meakin Lockwood; Ernest William Gimson; Aston Webb; Robert William Edis; William Young; James Buckley Wilson; Pugin & Pugin (a London-based family firm of church architects); Basil Champneys; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross; John Dando Sedding; William Venn Gough; John James Stevenson; Thomas Graham Jackson; Edmund Kirby; John Loughborough Pearson; Edwin Thomas Hall; Richard Coad; Hippolyte Jean Blanc; John Douglas and Daniel Porter Fordham; John Norton; Alfred Waterhouse; Maxwell & Tuke; Sydney Mitchell, and many more.
The fine arts plates include a series of spectacular terra-cotta panel friezes by George Tinworth ("The Taking of Samson by the Philistines," and "Jesus in the House of Martha and Mary"); A selection of sculptures by artists mostly associated with the New Sculpture movement, such as Edward Onslow Ford, Edwin Roscoe Mullins, George Halse, Harry Bates, George Anderson Lawson, Thomas Brock, etc.. Paintings and drawings by George Henry Boughton, Henrietta Emma Ratcliffe Rae, Ernest Normand, Frederick Goodall, and many others. Also includes numerous artwork exposed at the Royal Academy and Grosvenor Galleries.
The decorative arts plates include a magnificent maple cabinet, and a Jacobean oak sideboard designed by Edward William Godwin and manufactured by William Watt; A walnut wood drawer Cabinet designed by Maurice Bingham Adams; Interior decoration and furniture designed by Walter Hensman; Examples of 12th, 13th, and 16th century decorative metal work and carvings; Wallpaper decorations designed by Charles Francis Annesley Voysey, John Sando Sedding, Messrs. Jeffrey and Company; Edward Coley Burne-Jones' "Our Saviour and the Woman at the Well," a striking design for a stained-glass panel at St Peter's Church; Sgraffito spandril and inlaid wood border by Walter Crane; Crane's painted glass decorations for the library windows of "Vinland", in Newport, Rhode Island; A monumental fireplace designed by Walter Crane; Three busts (H.R.H. The Duchess of Connaught and Strathearn, H.R.H. The Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, and H.R.H. Princess Beatrice, Princess Henry of Battenburg) by Francis John Williamson, Queen Victoria's favorite sculptor; A spectacular stained glass executed for The First Avenue Hotel, Holborn, by Campbell Smith & Campbell, and many other stunning pieces.
The plates contained in these two volumes are not arranged by date.
Minor shelf wear and darkening on bindings. The upper right corner of a few plates in the second volume have been bumped (not affecting the illustrations). Sporadic and very minor foxing throughout. Bindings in overall good to good+, interior in good to very good condition. g to vg. Item #39691