Eric Chaim Kline, Bookseller

Eric Chaim Kline, Bookseller

The Chesed-El Synagogue: Its History & People - Celebrating the Centenary of Chesed-El, 5665-5765 [INSCRIBED BY THE UNITED HEBREW CONGREGATION OF SINGAPORE]

Singapore: Trustees of Chesed-El Synagogue, 2005. First edition. Hardcover. Oblong quarto. [10], 149, [1]pp. Original photo-illustrated paper covered boards. Front free endpaper inscribed by the UHC of Singapore. Photo-illustrated title. Illustrated with numerous, color, duo-tone and b/w photographic reproductions, this volume tells the remarkable history of Singapore's Chesed-El synagogue, and its people. By the early 1900s, the Maghain Aboth Synagogue (the only synagogue then) had become crowded, as the Jewish population in Singapore had more than doubled since the opening of the synagogue in 1878. Some members of the Jewish community thus felt that a second synagogue was needed. At the same time, Manasseh Meyer, who was instrumental in the establishment of the Maghain Aboth Synagogue, was troubled by the frequent disagreements among the congregants of different backgrounds over the order of services and specific rituals. This prompted his decision in 1902 to build his own private synagogue. Meyer decided to build the new synagogue on his residential estate, Belle Vue, located at Oxley Rise. Chesed-El Synagogue, located at Oxley Rise, is one of the two synagogues that are currently in use in Singapore. It was designed by Regent Alfred John Bidwell of Swan & Maclaren and completed in 1905. Its name, Chesed-El, means “bountiful mercy and goodness of God”. The building was gazetted as a national monument on 18 December 1998. The synagogue is designed in the Palladian style characterised by ancient Roman and Greek architectural features such as arches and Corinthian columns. Projecting from the front of the two-storey building is a covered porch that is large enough for a horse carriage to pass through. Immediately to the right of the steps leading up to the main doors is a plaque stating that the synagogue was built by Meyer and designed by Bidwell. To the sides of the covered porch are two entrances to the second-storey women’s gallery which separates the women from the men during services. Minor shelf wear. Binding and interior in overall very good condition. vg. Item #38454

Price: $150.00

See all items in Judaica