Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott and Co., 1856. First edition. Hardcover. Quarto. XVI, 840, , 901, pp. Original leather with gold lettering on spines. Scarce first edition of this gem of medicine literature which, while aiming to present whatever in Therapeutics and Pharmacology is directly and practically important to the physician, intends also to be an exponent specially of what the author himself knows and believes on the subjects of which it treats. Some age wear on bindings with spines and edges rubbed. Sporadic and minor foxing throughout. Slight age-toning along paper margin. Bindings in overall fair, interior in good to very good condition. g. Item #25412
About the author: George Bacon Wood was born in Greenwich, New Jersey, on 12 March 1797; he was the son of Richard and Elizabeth Bacon Wood. George B. Wood married Caroline Hahn (d. 1867) on 2 April 1823. Wood died in Philadelphia on 30 March 1879. In 1815, George B. Wood received his A.B. from the University of Pennsylvania. He then studied medicine under Joseph Parrish and attended courses at the University of Pennsylvania. He received his A.M. and M.D. from the University in 1818. Wood's thesis was on dyspepsia. After his graduation, Wood lectured on materia medica at Joseph Parrish's Association for Medical Instruction. George B. Wood was one of the founders of the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy in 1821. He was Professor of Chemistry at the College (1822-1831), then Professor of Materia Medica and Pharmacy (1831-1835). Wood resigned from the College in 1835, to become Professor of Materia Medica and Pharmacy at the University of Pennsylvania. In 1850, he became Professor of the Theory and Practice of Medicine at the University and held that position until his retirement in 1860. Wood was Attending Physician at Pennsylvania Hospital (1835-1859) and President of the Board of Managers (1874-1879). From 1850 to 1860, Wood was also chairman of the Committee on the Revision of the United States Pharmacopoeia. In 1865, he helped to organize the Auxiliary Faculty of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. George B. Wood became a Fellow of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia in 1827 and was President from 1848 to 1879. Wood was also a President of the American Philosophical Society (1859-1879) and the American Medical Association (1855-1856).