Leipzig: A. H. Payne, 1874. First edition. Hardcover. Folio. 2 vols. 1853,(8)pp. Black 3/4 leather over brown cloth. Gilt lettering and decorative design along spines, inner edges and corners. Raised bands, marbled endpapers. Complete Hebrew Bible (TaNaKh), "For Israelites, with Masoretic text and a new German translation and additional commentary by Professor Dr. Julius Fürst," an important 19th century German Jewish scholar at the University of Leibzig. "With more than 100 separate plates, and 600 in-text illustrations (unsigned)." Vocalized Hebrew text side by side with German translation, German commentary along bottom, in Gothic script, interspersed with over 700 beautiful full-page and half-page reproductions of steel plate and woodcut engravings, visually narrating the Bible story. End of 2nd volume contains a concluding word from Fürst, Masoretic endnotes for each Book, an index of Parshot and Haftorot (the order of weekly readings from the Pentateuch and Prophets), a timeline of Biblical history, 3 full-page maps of Ancient Israel and the Middle East, and a list of instructions for bookbinders. Free front endpaper of first volume contains a dedicative inscription to Israel Bettan, an important early 20th century professor at Hebrew Union College. Tight binding, boards slightly scuffed and rubbed, leather corners bumped and slightly chipped. Title page detached, but present. Overall set in good+ condition. g. Item #18841
About Julius Fürst: Julius Fürst (1805–1873), was a Jewish German orientalist. Fürst was a distinguished scholar of Semitic languages and literature. During his years as chairman of the department of Oriental languages and literature at the University of Leipzig (1864–1873), he wrote major works on literary history and linguistics. His most important scholarly works include the Bibliotheca Judaica (Leipzig, 1849-1863), Kultur and Literaturgeschichte der Juden in Asien (Cultural and literary history of Jews in Asia, 1849), several dictionaries as well as numerous contributions to the periodical "Der Orient" (Leipzig 1840-1851), whose chief editor he was. "Der Orient" was mainly devoted to scientific study of the language, literature and history of the Jews.