Palestine Archaeological Museum. Gallery Book. Stone and Bronze Ages.
4to. 106 pp. Paper wrappers. Decorative string on wrappers near spine. Book appears to be a full, case by case exhibition catalogue of the opening exhibition of the Palestine Archaeological Museum, which happened in 1938, a year after the publication of this book. Contents include: Paleolithic Age," "Mesolithic Age," "Neolithic Age," "Chalcolithic Age," "Early Bronze Age," "Early - Middle Bronze Age," "Middle - Late Bronze Age," and "List of Photographs in Gallery." Book is " . . . Organized by numbers corresponding to Gallery numbers of single objects or of groups of objects of similar type. The numbers are placed to the left of the object or of the group of objects. The Museum number of any object may be found in the "Key," obtainable from a guard. The red stars mark selected objects for the attention of the visitor whose time is limited. See the special leaflet at the sale desk, The order of show-cases is alphabetical, cv. the plan on p. 3" -Taken from "Remarks" on page immediately following table of contents. Rear wrapper detached but present. There are numerous pencil marks, notations, underlines and even sketches, evidently drawn first hand at the exhibition, of many of the artifacts, by the former owner and obviously, a patron of the museum. Some yellowing to pages due to age, book is in fair condition.
The Rockefeller Museum, formerly the Palestine Archaeological Museum, is an archaeological museum located in East Jerusalem that houses a large collection of artifacts unearthed in the excavations conducted in Palestine beginning in the late 19th century. Visiting Palestine in 1925, during the days of the British Mandate, James Henry Breasted, founder and director of the University of Chicago's Oriental Institute, was surprised to discover that Jerusalem lacked a proper archaeological museum to house important regional finds. Encouraged by Lord Plumer, the British High Commissioner, Breasted approached American philanthropist John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Rockefeller agreed to donate the sum of two million dollars, which was an enormous amount of money in those days. Previously, he had offered to build an archeological museum in Cairo, Egypt, but he was turned down, possibly due to pressure from the British government, which was anxious to keep America from establishing a foothold in the region. A short while after the donation was announced, a site was chosen for the building-Kerem el-Sheik-a hill located just outside the northeastern corner of the Old City walls. The museum was designed by Austen St. Barbe Harrison, chief architect of the Mandatory Department of Public Works, who drew up blueprints for an impressive white limestone building integrating eastern and western architectural elements. The cornerstone of the new museum was laid on June 19, 1930, although it only opened to the public on January 13, 1938. Officially, it was called the Palestine Archaeological Museum, but from the outset it was commonly referred to as the Rockefeller Museum.
Edition: First edition
Book ID: 19416